Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roses with Black Frame

Is it possible to ever die while you wait for your craft to dry?! I had to start this post just so I'd leave my frame alone lol. I've seen so many of these frames around blogland that I thought I'd try to put my own spin on it as much as possible.

I started out with the basics: frame (Michael's $1.00), acrylic paint (black - $2.00 for that huge bottle), foam brush (a whole 7 cents), and of all things, a spoon holder for a palette. What was even better is I had a 20% off coupon for my whole purchase =) Anyway, I painted about an inch around the front, the edges, and all of the back because I have the type of friends that will prolly pick it up and flip it over, and I'd die if it wasn't all the way painted!! I had picked up these cute wordarts from Michael's too ($1.00). The catch is they're already painted. I should have sanded them down a bit, I didn't realize how hard it would be to cover pepto pink. What seemed like twenty coats later, I finally have it to my satisfaction. Just debating if I want to Mod Podge it or not. In this picture the letters aren't completely done just so you could see the lovely pink shade.

Now all the paint is dry, I've cut out my lovely rose paper, Mod Podged my frame, stuck on paper, and because I don't have a brayer (added to shopping list), I used his old debit card. I just coated the top of the paper, and I'm anxiously waiting for it to dry.

Well, it dried, and I hate the results. Because someone has borrowed my exacto knife, I had to use a box cutter and it made the edges crappy. So...out comes the nail files. I sanded down the edges of the paper, but I still didn't like it, and I didn't like the Mod Podge finish. I had bought an extra sheet of that rose paper thankfully, so I cut out another one, cutting out the center part first this time. Mod Podged it on, and still wasn't pleased. Used a coarser grit nail file on the edges, a little better. Then I had an idea. I painted around the edges of the frame and rubbed the paint a little for a distressed, inked type of edges. I so love it now, but I don't want to seal it with the Podge...

Wasn't quite sure still about the letters. I Podged the back of the frame and letting it dry to see how it turns out. So 20 minutes later, didn't really see a difference, so now I'm waiting on the letters to dry.

Used Gorilla Glue's Super Glue and glued the letters to the frame, and I couldn't be happier now. I just love how this turned out!!

No comments :