Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Paris Journal Cover




When I was at WalMart last week I picked up some composition journals for $.40 knowing I have some great scrapbook paper in my stash to use up. I carry a small one in my purse that lists what stamps, punches, etc. that I have so I don't duplicate. I did want to have a bigger one though that I can keep track more easily, and when I see projects that I want to do, I can check to see if I need to go shopping *s*. I know, any excuse I can get to shop!! If you'd like to create something similar, I have listed some fairly simple directions.

Composition Notebook
Scrapbook Paper
Mod Podge (I used hard coat)
Lots of stamps and inks
Sharpie
Scissors
Nail File

I traced the shape of the notebook on the back of my scrapbook paper and tried my best to cut a straight line. Podge the cover, make sure to get the edges good, and press on the paper. I didn't use a roller or credit card, just my hands to smooth it out because the paper is a pretty thick piece. Now to the fun part, the stamps. I tried to match some inks to the background, and then for the text I used black. I went slightly crazy with the stamps. I ran a nail file over the edges to make sure they were all even. I used two colors of distressing ink (Tim Holtz's Antique Linen & Tea Dye) and black ink to go around the edges. I'm sure there are a "few" scrappers that would cringe at the way I use the distressing ink. I dab a wadded up tissue on the ink then rub or dab it onto the paper. Yes, I know there prolly is a real way you are supposed to do it, but what fun would that be?! When I was finished I realized that it looked unfinished around the edges were the paper was Podged on, so I edged around with a black sharpie. Coat with at least one layer of Podge, but I will do two when I make sure that I'm done playing with the stamps =)

Stamp Credits: Tim Holtz (Visual Artistry Collection - French Market), Stampology (Everyday Elements), Hampton Art (FootLongs - Cupcakes), Hero Arts (Paris), Scrappy Cat (Everyday Assortment), and Hampton Art's Studio G Wood Stamp.


Catch a Glimpse Button

Nothing But Country

UndertheTableandDreaming

1 comment :

The Doodler said...

Very cute idea, thanks for sharing!

Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com