Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Banana Bread


As I'm typing this my house smells better than any candle you could imagine! I'm baking banana bread =) When I came home with a small mountain of bananas, Scott asked if I was going on some strange banana diet. When I said I was making banana bread he insisted that I find a recipe that tasted just like Bob Evans. Um yeah. I'm going to go right in and sweet talk their baker into just handing over the recipe. So I googled and googled, and even binged. I came across the following recipe and all I have to say is I hope it tastes as good as it smells and the batter tasted!! Because nobody was home I got to lick the bowl and spoon all by myself. The original recipe can be found here. There is a ton of recipes posted on the site.

Bob Evans Banana Nut Bread
(Copycat Recipe)

Makes 1 Loaf

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
11/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 or 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (use 4 if bananas are small)
1/2 cup walnuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. With an electric mixer, mix shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and bananas. Add to egg mixture. Add nuts and mix. Spoon batter into a greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until tested done.

At first I was a little worried about not having any spices in here. I was thinking some cinnamon and nutmeg would make it more "seasonal", but they aren't needed. Wow, this bread is just fine the way it is! Will definately be trying more recipes from this site =)

No comments :