Monday, July 25, 2011

Gravelled "S"







This post is brought to you by the letter "S" =)



I'm almost done with my beachy display, I'm just adding a few little odds and ends here and there. In other words, I've changed it at least ten times and can't make up my mind! I did know that I needed an "S". Michael's had their large letters that are normally $3.00 on sale 40% off, AND I had this weeks email coupon for an additional 20% off...woot! I thought about covering it in sand, but that wasn't the texture I was looking for. After rooting through my cabinet, I found the perfect thing!!



Large letter, easier to work with a larger size

Gloss Mod Podge

Pea gravel

1" foam brush

Waxed paper



Covered the kitchen counter with the waxed paper and washed up my letter. I painted the "S" in Podge with a really heavy coat and dumped sprinkled my gravel on. Waited an hour, which by the way, kills me. I have NO PATIENCE!! When I tapped the "S" on the counter the extra gravel came off, which is why I used the waxed paper. It creates a nice funnel to put the leftovers back in the container. Added another really heavy coat of Podge and pressed on more gravel. Then there was another wait. Have I mentioned that I'm not good with the waiting part? I did manage to wait til the next day though before I touched it. I haven't sealed it yet because I'm not sure of the best way yet, but I wanted to show it to you! When I put it on the shelf, it added a little color, so I'm very excited!! You could even say it was worth the wait lol.


No comments :